Citrine is associated with positivity and optimism, which is not surprising given its cheerful color. It’s often used to assist in manifesting financial abundance and opportunities. It can also be used to awaken the solar plexus chakra, helping to cultivate confidence and personal power.
What Is Citrine?
Citrine is a popular type of quartz crystal often used to in conjunction with feng shui to welcome abundance, prosperity, and positivity. Natural citrine is quite rare, and most citrine is actually amethyst that has been heat-treated to alter its color. Citrine gets its name from the French word citron, which means lemon. Like citrus fruits, citrine comes in sunny shades of yellow and orange.
Properties of Citrine
- Color: Yellow, orange, brown
- Chakra: All, especially solar plexus
- Number: Vibrates to 6
- Planet: Sun
- Zodiac: Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Rooster
- Bagua areas: Tai qi (Health), Xun (Abundance)
- Elements: Fire, Earth
- Origin: Brazil, Russia, UK, Madagascar, France, US
Meaning and Uses of Citrine
Citrine is an unusual crystal in that it transmutes rather than absorbs negative energy, so it doesn’t need to be cleared like most crystals. It encourages balanced emotions and calm feelings.
Types of Citrine
- Natural citrine is a variety of quartz that has colors of yellow, orange, and brown infused. It's a bit harder to find and is typically more expensive than the heat-treated version.
- Heat-treated citrine is heat-treated amethyst, which is a purple type of quartz. When heated, the purple transforms into shades of yellow, orange, and brown. There are mixed reviews on natural vs. heat-treated citrine, but we recommend you go with the crystal that you feel more connected to.
- Smoky citrine is a variation of citrine with some smoky quartz. It is especially helpful when it comes to working through spiritual matters. It can help to clear out old beliefs that are blocking the flow of abundance in your life. It's said to be more grounding than regular citrine.
- “Citrine” spirit quartz is a type of spirit quartz with citrine colors that helps to cleanse the energetic body, as well as invite forgiveness toward yourself and others. It also can help to attract prosperity, while at the same time removing attachments to material goods.
Uses in Feng Shui
Citrine is a great crystal to use to improve the flow of feng shui in your home. Here are some of our favorite ways to use citrine for good feng shui.
Activate Tai Qi, the Health Area
Citrine’s warm, earthy color makes it a great addition to the Tai Qi area of your home. Tai Qi is in the center of your home, and it represents health and well-being. It’s related to the earth element, connected to colors like orange, brown, and yellow. Because it’s in the center, the Tai Qi also touches all the areas of your space, meaning that changes in this area of your home will likely have a ripple effect on the rest of your life as well. To uplift the energy in your home and encourage wellness and vitality, try placing a piece of citrine in the Tai Qi area.
Activate Xun, the Wealth Corner
Because of citrine’s connection to prosperity and abundance, it has a natural connection to Xun, or the area of the feng shui bagua map that is connected to abundance and wealth. You can find your wealth corner of your home by standing in the front door, looking in. The far left corner is your wealth area. If you would like to welcome more financial abundance into your life, add a piece of citrine to this area of your home. Xun is also connected to self-worth, so you can place citrine here with the intention of increasing your own confidence and trust in yourself.
Invite Earth Energy
The earth element represents stability, grounding, and nourishment. You may need more earth energy in your life if you feel ungrounded or anxious. In general, stones from the earth represent earth energy, and citrine in particular has a strong connection to this element. If you’d like to invite more earth element qualities into your life, working with citrine in your home or carrying citrine with you can really support that.
Activate Your Wallet
Placing a small piece of citrine in your wallet is a great way to harness this stone’s connection to abundance. Citrine encourages generosity, as well as acquiring and retaining wealth. Sharing wealth and retaining wealth may seem to cancel each other out, but they actually go hand in hand. The more abundant you feel, the more likely you are to share what you have. As you feel more abundant, you will also increase your capacity to hold onto wealth for yourself.
Welcome Prosperity in Your Workspace
Because citrine helps to attract abundance, it’s a great stone to have in your workspace. Whether you work from home or from an office, you may want to place a piece of citrine on your desk or in another location in your workspace with the intention of inviting more prosperity and positivity into your work life.
Wear Citrine on Your Body
Finding a piece of citrine you can wear or carry with you is a lovely way to keep this stone’s bright and sunny energy with you throughout your day. Select an item that you love and set an intention for how you’d like it to support you—you’ll be reminded of that intention every time you wear it.