Great things do not need to take a long time, and this citrus, cream, and blueberry, parfait is proof. Even with the delicious addition of lemon crisps for decoration, this dessert can be ready in under 25 minutes.
Not only is this recipe quick and easy to make, but it is also packed with deliciousness. The thick, syrupy blueberries nestle alongside whipped cream and a sharp tang of citrus fruits from the curd to create this decadent treat. Here lime and lemon curd comes straight from the jar, but you can always make some if you have the time - it too is quick and easy.
Can't find lime and lemon curd or don't have the time to make it? No worries. Merely use lemon curd, which is much easier to find or make.
And one more great thing, the parfaits can be made ahead of time and chilled in the fridge until you need them. This means you've got a great go-to recipe for any special occasions or just because.
- Lemon Crisps:
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 lemon (washed, cut into thin slices)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cups blueberries (fresh)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup lime and lemon curd
- Heat the oven to 320 F and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Put the sugar and cold water into a small saucepan. Bring to a rapid boil and cook for 3 minutes to dissolve the sugar and cook until the liquid is syrupy.
- Lay the lemon slices on the baking tray and paint liberally with the sugar syrup. Put into the middle of the hot oven and bake for 20 minutes, until golden and crisp. Check after 15 minutes and if the lemons are turning too dark, remove from the oven. Leave to cool.
- While the lemons are cooking, make the parfait.
- Put the sugar, water, and blueberries into a small saucepan. Cook over a medium heat until the water has reduced and the blueberries are just starting to burst. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Lightly whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Once the blueberries are cool, assemble the parfait. Start with a deep layer of cream into a Champagne or wine flute. Top the cream with the syrupy blueberries and a thin layer of the lemon curd. Repeat this finishing with a layer of cream. Onto this, pile a few fresh blueberries and finish with the lemon crisp.
- Chill the parfaits until needed. Serve with tiny shortbread biscuits (optional).
Alternatives to the Blueberry, Cream, and Citrus Parfaits:
- The combination in this recipe is a lovely match of flavors and colors, but sometimes it is lovely to changes things up. Instead of the lime and lemon curd, you could replace it with just lemon.
- Add a tiny speck of vanilla bean paste to the cream before whisking -- be sparing though, as too much will spoil the balance of this delicious dessert.