If you want to start from scratch, make your own homemade mayonnaise, but there are so many high-quality mayonnaises out there these days, that shouldn't be necessary unless you're worried about preservatives.
This recipe is from Emeril Lagasse's "Every Day's a Party" (William Morrow & Co. 1999). The subtitle is "Louisiana Recipes For Celebrating With Family And Friends" and that pretty much describes the contents of the book -- 125 recipes and menus that take you from Super Bowl tailgates to Mardi Gras, from New Year's Eve to the New Orleans Jazz Fest, and beyond.
You can expect recipes like Salt-and-Herb-Crusted Red Snapper, Bananas Foster Ice Cream Pie, Crawfish and Sausage Jambalaya, Emeril's Martini with Chocolate Grapes, Cold Cucumber Soup and Pecan Florentines, to name a few.
- 1 medium orange
- 3/4 cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- dash Tabasco
- Grate the zest from 1 medium orange. Cut away the peel and white pith, cut out the orange segments and chop. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup good-quality mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil. Beat the orange zest, shallots, and Tabasco and fold in the chopped orange and dill. Chill until ready to serve.
- Citrus mayonnaise is excellent with poultry or seafood, either as a dip, sandwich spread or salad binder.
- For example, substitute 1/2 cup Citrus Mayonnaise for the 1/2 cup ranch dressing in this Zesty Salad Spread recipe that uses canned chicken or tuna or rotisserie chicken from the deli, cream cheese, onions and bell peppers. It can be used as a spread for appetizers or sandwiches, or just served in a lettuce cup. See more substitution recommendations, below.
Recipe Source: "Every Day's a Party" by Emeril Lagasse (William Morrow & Co.). Reprinted with permission.
Try substituting Citrus Mayonnaise for regular mayo in these recipes:
- Maryland Crab Cakes Recipe
- Nick's Salmon Cakes Recipe
- Basic Tuna Salad Recipe
- Basic Crab Salad Recipe
- Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe