This custard-like corn pudding is very tasty, and it's the perfect accompaniment for a roast or baked ham. It's also an excellent side dish for a holiday dinner.
The pudding starts with a simple white sauce. The sauce is mixed with cream-style and whole kernel corn and then beaten eggs are added to make the mixture light and fluffy.
We sweeten corn pudding with some extra sugar but feel free to reduce the sugar or omit it.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add flour, stirring until mixture is well blended. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the milk; add sugar and salt. Cook, whisking constantly, until smooth and thickened. The mixture will be thick. Remove from heat and stir in cream-style and kernel corn.
- Lightly beat egg yolks, and then add to the corn mixture. In a grease-free bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into the mixture.
- Transfer to a 2-quart buttered casserole. Set in a larger pan and put in the oven. Add hot water to the large pan to a depth of about 1 inch.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the whole kernel corn with fiesta-style corn with peppers.
- Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of finely chopped red and green bell peppers.