A beignet recipe, similar to those you might find in the French Market of New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (approx. 105°)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shortening, softened
- 1 quart oil (for deep frying)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- In large bowl, sprinkle yeast over the warm water; stir to dissolve and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt, beaten eggs, and evaporated milk.
- Whisk or use electric mixer to blend thoroughly. Add 4 cups of the flour; beat until smooth.
- Add shortening; gradually blend in remaining flour.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Roll out on floured board to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares.
- Deep fry at 360° for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly browned on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. Serve hot with coffee.
Dough can cut and frozen, separated in container with waxed paper.
Makes 4 to 5 dozen.
Easy Cinnamon Rolls
Pull-Apart Breakfast Rolls
Orange Marmalade Buns
Cream Filled Doughnuts
Mashed Potato Doughnuts
French Market Doughnuts
Bread Machine Cinnamon Buns
Raspberry Oatmeal Rolls
Glazed Donuts, Bread Machine
French Toast Index
Quick Bread Recipes