Serve this classic chicken à la king over toast points, pastry shells, rice, or noodles. This is a very easy meal to fix, and it tastes wonderful with many side dishes.
Use leftover cooked chicken breasts, turkey, or the meat from a rotisserie chicken in this recipe.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 to 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups light cream, milk, or half-and-half
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the sliced mushrooms, green bell pepper, and green onion, then cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and most of the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Blend in the flour, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add milk, cream, or half-and-half along with 1 cup of the chicken broth, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking over low to medium-low heat, stirring, until mixture is hot and thickened. Add more chicken broth, if necessary.
- Cook for about 2 minutes longer. Add the diced chicken and pimiento and heat through.
- Serve over toast points (see below) or rice, or spoon into baked puff pastry shells (see below).
- Sprinkle each serving with chopped parsley if desired.
How to Make Toast Points
- Heat broiler. Have a large baking sheet at the ready.
- Brush 8 slices of bread with melted butter. Sprinkle the bread lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Arrange the bread on a large baking sheet and then toast under the broiler for about 3 to 4 minutes, turning to brown both sides.
- Trim the crusts and cut each one in half diagonally. This will make two triangles per serving.
How to Make Puff Pastry Shells
- Heat oven to 400 F (200 C). Lightly coat muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut thawed puff pastry dough into squares that will fit into the muffin cups.
- Gently press the dough into the muffin cups and then use a fork to prick the dough all over. Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes.
Chicken à la King Variations
- Use the meat from a rotisserie chicken to make this recipe, or use poached or baked chicken breasts.
- Replace the diced cooked chicken with diced cooked turkey. Use leftover turkey or cooked turkey tenderloins or turkey breast.
- Replace the green onion with 1/4 cup of finely chopped sweet onion.
- Add steamed peas or peas and carrots to the sauce along with the chicken. Serve over rice or noodles.