This is a classic corned beef dinner with rutabagas, carrots, onions, potatoes, and cabbage.
Serve the corned beef with a Mustard Sauce or Horseradish Sauce.
- 1 corned beef brisket, about 4 pounds
- 1 small bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 to 3 rutabagas, cut in chunks
- 1 pound carrots, or about 8 to 10, trimmed, scraped, and left whole
- 12 small whole onions, peeled
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium head of cabbage, cut in wedges
Place meat in a deep saucepan or kettle; cover with water. Add bay leaf and peppercorns. Bring to a boil; skim off foam. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 3 hours.
Add vegetables; simmer for about 45 minutes longer, or until vegetables and meat are tender. Serve corned beef surrounded with vegetables.
Serves 8 to 10
More Corned Beef Recipes
Corned Beef and Cabbage
Glazed Corned Beef Dinner Recipe
Crockpot Corned Beef With Brown Sugar
Spiced Corned Beef with Cider
Homemade Corned Beef
Corned Beef Dinner With Vegetables
Crockpot Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe