The Caprese sandwich is a classic Italian vegetarian sub that is packed full of flavor while also being super easy to make. Made with thick slices of fresh mozzarella, sweet Italian tomatoes, rich extra virgin olive oil, tangy balsamic glaze and herbaceous basil, it's no surprise that this sandwich's fame has made it to the US.
1. If you get this sandwich in Italy, it is most likely made with buffalo mozzarella. Although regular mozzarella still works wonders on this sandwich, the buffalo milk gives the cheese an extra burst of flavor. If you can't find buffalo mozzarella where you live, don't worry, you can still use fresh mozzarella - just make sure that you are not using the processed, low moisture variety.
2. Don't have balsamic glaze on hand? Don't worry! You can either order some glaze or use regular balsamic vinegar or make some yourself by adding a 1/2 a cup of balsamic vinegar with 1/4 cup apple juice and boiling it down until it reduces into a thick syrup. Personally, I like both versions equally and actually switch it up depending if I want a little more acidity (plain balsamic vinegar) or sweetness (balsamic glaze) in my lunch.
3. Seasoning - don't forget to salt and pepper your ingredients! This is a super important step that will make your sandwich super flavorful and delicious!
- 1 Italian sub roll
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil (Italian extra virgin)
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 3 thick slices fresh mozzarella (buffalo if possible)
- 2 tomatoes (fresh Campari tomatoes, sliced thick)
- 5 basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a serrated knife, slice an Italian sub roll in half.
- Drizzle the inside with Italian extra virgin olive oil and balsamic glaze.
- Add basil and tomato to one side and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with fresh mozzarella and close sandwich. Eat now or wrap tightly to enjoy later.