Whether you are going to a backyard barbecue or just looking to make a good side dish or snack, macaroni salad is a classic. This macaroni salad is made with hard-boiled eggs, chopped vegetables, and a distinctively seasoned mayonnaise dressing.
It is fairly easy to throw together this meal, and it is a definite crowd-pleaser. Bring it to your next party ad watch it disappear. Just remember that it includes egg and mayonnaise that can go bad if it is left in warm temperatures for too long. Refrigerate shortly after serving so the ingredients do not spoil and stay fresh.
Related: Pasta Salad With Chicken and Bacon
- 2 cups cooked macaroni pasta (drained, rinsed and cooled)
- hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/4 cup of chopped celery
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup
- mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of prepared mustard
- Pepper, to taste
- Prepare macaroni pasta and hard boil the eggs. Let them cool.
- Combine all of the recipe ingredients except for the pasta. Thoroughly mix the ingredients into a dressing. You may want to start with 1/3 cup of mayonnaise and then add more if you want to or feel that you need more.
- Add in the cooled pasta. Stir gently so you do not break apart the macaroni. Coat all pieces of pasta evenly.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Cover and chill the macaroni salad for several hours before serving.
Here are a few tips you may want to try when hard-boiling the eggs for the salad:
- Fill the pot with cold water to start.
- Add salt to the water prior to boiling.
- After the water and eggs reach a boil, turn off the heat and cover them. Let the mixture sit for 13 minutes.
- Drain the eggs immediately. You can place them directly into the refrigerator to cool them, or sit them in an ice bath.
- To peel the egg after it is hard-boiled, tap it on a countertop until you see a crack in the shell. Then place it on the countertop and move it by rolling your hand over it, breaking the entire shell up as it rotates along the counter. Begin to peel it from the large end. Hold it under cold water if you need help getting the shell off.
- You can store them in the fridge, unpeeled, for up to one week.