This is the classic recipe for rice crispy treats that kids all over have come to love. And once you master this basic recipe, there are lots of different ways to vary it for holidays and special occasions or just different flavors.
While it's super easy to spread onto a pan and then cut into squares, you could also form the mixture with your hands (but be careful it's not too hot!) to create your own creative shapes. If that seems like a lot of work, you could use cookie cutters to cut them after they are cooled.
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows or 10 oz. regular marshmallows
- Spray a heat-proof spatula and a 9 x 13 pan or jellyroll pan with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and marshmallows over low heat, stirring frequently until the marshmallows are completely melted. Pour over the crispy rice cereal, and toss with the spatula to coat the cereal well.
- Immediately transfer the rice crispy treats mixture to the prepared pan, and spread into an even layer with the spatula. Let rice crispy treats cool completely before cutting into squares.
Rice Krispies Treats were invented in 1939 by Malitta Jensen and Mildred Day at the Kellogg Company Home economics department as a fund raiser for Camp Fire Girls. Kellogg's began to commercially produce plain and chocolate-based treats under the trademark brand names of "Rice Krispies Treats" in the U.S. and Mexico in 1995; however, other manufacturers had offered similar products under variant names (such as "Crisped Rice Treats" or "Marshmallow Treats") prior to this.
If you just need to order some to be sent to a friend, and want it to be over the top, how about checking out The Crispery? They make flavors like Chocolate Candy Buttons Crispycake, Chocolate Caramel Crispycake and Peppermint Twist Crispycake. Maybe they will inspire you to make your own crazy creations -- and getting the kids in on this is a surefire way to make an hour in the kitchen a lot of fun.