These great tasting scalloped potatoes are baked with milk, flour, and butter with a little cheese melted near the end of the baking time. Make these flavorful potatoes for an everyday meal or serve with your holiday dinner.
Feel free to add finely chopped, diced ham, or crumbled bacon in between the layers of potatoes. I like to rub the baking dish with cut slices of garlic before buttering the dish.
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5). Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Layer about one-third of the potatoes in the prepared baking dish.
- In a cup or small bowl, combine the flour with the salt and pepper. Sprinkle about half of the flour mixture over the potatoes; repeat with another layer of one-third of the potatoes and the flour mixture and top with remaining potato slices. Dot with butter and then pour the hot milk over the potatoes.
- Cover the baking dish with a lid or foil and bake for 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender. Remove the cover or foil and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the potatoes.
- Return the potatoes to the oven and bake, uncovered, for an additional 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and cheese has melted.
*How to Scald Milk - Put the cold milk in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Heat, stirring frequently while scraping the bottom of the pan to make sure there's not scorching. When you see small bubbles forming around the edge and the milk is steaming, remove it from the heat. If you are using a thermometer, the temperature will be 182 F (83 C).
You Might Also Like