Vegans love chocolate chip cookies too - at least this particular vegan does! I'll take vegan cookies over cake, ice cream, or just about any other kind of sweet, any day, and of all the vegan cookie possibilities, a classic chocolate chip is just about as good as life gets, in my opinion!
This classic recipe tastes just like the ones mom used to make. You won't even know they're vegan! These chocolate chip cookies are one of the most popular vegan recipes here on TheSpruce.com - give them a try to find out why everyone loves these cookies so much! Note that I don't personally like nuts in my chocolate chip cookies usually, so this recipe doesn't call for them, but one person who tested out this recipe did say that she added walnuts and they turned out great, so if you're pro-nuts in your cookies, you can toss in some chopped nuts and still have an excellent cookie. A bit of flaked coconut might also be nice if you like a cookie with more texture.
Need more cookies? Here's more vegan cookie recipes, including 8 entirely different ways to make vegan chocolate chip cookies.
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup margarine at room temperature (make sure it's vegan margarine — Earth Balance is one popular brand)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Ener-G Egg Replacer for 2 eggs (prepared according to package instructions)
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- First, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine together the flour, baking soda and the salt, using a sifter if you have one. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the vegan margarine, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and the prepared egg replacer until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients to this mixture and stir until combined well.
- Finally, gently stir in the vegan chocolate chips just until well dispersed.
- Drop one inch spoonfuls of dough onto cookie sheet.
- Bake your vegan chocolate chip cookies for about 8 to 10 minutes, until edges are lightly golden brown, or a little bit longer if you like them crispier.
Recipe tip: Looking for vegan chocolate chips? Trader Joe's and Whole Foods' house brands are vegan, and Sunspire and Tropical Source are two more popular brands. I usually buy my vegan chocolate chips out of the bulk foods section of my local co-op, so be sure to check there as well if your co-op or natural foods store has bulk bins.
See also: More vegan desserts to try
More Vegan Cookie Recipes:
- Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Spiced Vegan Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
- Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Easy Refined Sugar-Free Vegan Date Macaroons
- Chocolate Spice Cookies
- Sugar-free Peanut Butter and Banana Cookies
- Vegan Cake Mix Cookies
See also: More easy vegan recipes to try