This is a moist and delicious zucchini bread made with shredded zucchini, cinnamon, vanilla, and chopped nuts. Feel free to use walnuts or pecans in this zucchini bread.
This recipe makes 2 loaves -- enjoy one loaf now and save the other one in the freezer!
I have received many positive comments and suggestions for additions and substitutions. See the variations below the recipe for some of the ideas, including reductions in sugar, oil, and how to make the bread even moister.
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas Mark 4). Grease and flour two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pans.
- Shred the zucchini by hand using a box or Microplane grater or use the shredding disk of a food processor.
- Put the zucchini in mesh strainer or colander and press or squeeze with hands to get some of the excess liquid out. You should have approximately 2 cups of shredded zucchini.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer beat the eggs, granulated sugar, and vegetable oil together. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, vanilla, and walnuts, mixing just until all ingredients are combined. Add drained zucchini. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake the zucchini bread for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out with little or no crumbs clinging to it.
- Makes 2 loaves of zucchini bread.
- To freeze, wrap the loaf (or individual slices) in plastic wrap, then wrap it tightly in foil. Put the bread in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 4 months.
- Replace the chopped walnuts with chopped pecans, hazelnuts, or macadamia nuts.
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded flaked coconut to the batter along with the chopped nuts.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of raisins or dried cranberries to the batter along with the chopped nuts.
- Add 1 tablespoon of finely grated orange zest to the batter and reduce the vanilla to 1 teaspoon.
- Add a drained 8-ounce can of crushed pineapple to the batter.
- Replace half of the oil with applesauce (might take about 5 to 10 minutes less baking time).
- Add 1/2 to 1 ripe mashed banana to the batter.
- Reduce the sugar to 1 1/4 cups for a less sweet zucchini bread.
- Skip draining the shredded zucchini for a moister bread.
- Add a dash of ground nutmeg along with the cinnamon.