Solid surface countertops are usually made of acrylic, marble dust, bauxite, epoxy or polyester resins, and pigment. Sometimes called "synthetic stone," they are popular choices in new home construction and remodeling. Sold under various brand names including Corian, Dekton, Avonite, and Silestone, these countertops offer a pleasing option for strength and looks. They are durable and easy to clean.
Solid surface countertops come in a huge variety of colors, making it easy for homeowners to find a style they like. Unlike laminate countertops, solid surface types are seamless.
At first, solid surface countertops were not as natural looking as real stone countertops, but great advances have been made in their looks. These countertops can be just as expensive, if not more expensive, than their real stone counterparts.
Routine Solid Surface Countertop Cleaning
To clean solid surface countertops:
- Use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe them down.
- For dirty or stained areas, use mild dish soap and water. Also acceptable are ammonia-based cleaners such as most glass or general purpose cleaners.
- Towel dry the surface to prevent water spots.
Removing Difficult Stains
Difficult stains on shiny surface countertops can be cleaned with a liquid mildly abrasive cleaner, while stains on nonshiny (matte) finishes are easily cleaned with baking soda and water paste.
Commercial solid surface cleaning sprays are available for these countertops at most home supply centers. The commercial sprays are formulated to clean difficult stains.
Solid Surface Countertop Maintenance
No regular maintenance is required for solid surface countertops.
Preventing Stains on Solid Surface Countertops
- Solid surface countertops are resistant to heat, but use a hot pad or trivet when setting a hot pan on the countertop.
- Don't use paint removers, oven cleaners or other strong chemicals on the countertops.
- Use a cutting board. Do not cut directly on the countertop.
- Remove any nail polish using a non-acetone polish remover and then flush the countertops with water.