These yummy soft chocolate cookies are made with cocoa, buttermilk, and pecans. Feel free to replace the pecans with chocolate chips, or use a combination of chopped nuts and chocolate chips.
- Cream shortening and butter with sugar; beat in egg. Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients together then stir into the first mixture.
- Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Chill cookie dough for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- Drop with a teaspoon onto greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between cookies.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until set.
- Cool and frost with a simple chocolate or vanilla icing if desired.
- Makes about 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cookies.