These soft, chewy chocolate-covered patties are bursting with sweet coconut flavor.They're perfect for the coconut lover in your life. Try adding a little lime juice and fresh lime zest for a refreshing coconut-lime twist!
- 1.25 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 stick (4 tbsp) butter, cubed
- 1 egg white
- 1.25 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 lb chocolate candy coating
1. Fill a medium saucepan with an inch of water and set it over medium heat to simmer.
2. In the bowl of a double boiler (or a bowl that fits snugly on top of your saucepan), combine the powdered sugar, butter, and egg white, and whisk together. Place the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water, and continue to heat and stir until the mixture is well-combined and very runny, about 5-10 minutes.
3. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the coconut, vanilla, and coconut extract. Wrap the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until it is firm enough to scoop, about 2 hours.
4. Once the candy has firmed up, line a baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper. Place the chocolate candy coating in a bowl, and microwave it in 30-second increments until melted and smooth, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Cover a baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper.
5. Using a teaspoon, scoop small balls of the coconut mixture and flatten them into discs between your palms.
6. Using two forks or dipping tools, dip the discs in the chocolate and drag the bottom against the lip of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place the dipped patty on the prepared baking sheet and while the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the top with a pinch of coconut. Repeat the dipping process with the remaining coconut candy and chocolate.
7. Place the dipped patties in the refrigerator to set the chocolate, about 20 minutes. Store coconut patties in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month. For the best taste and texture, serve these candies at room temperature.