If you're a cola gummy fan, then you are going to want to try this homemade cola gummy recipe.They have the familiar taste of cola and a sweet-tart bite that makes them taste just like the real thing. You'll never have to overpay at the bulk candy bins again!
These clever candies are made with cola extract and a pinch of citric acid, which is what gives them their realistic taste. It helps keep the gummies from being too sweet and adds a bit of tartness that mimics the carbonated "bite" most colas have. It's easy to find but if you can't, it can be omitted without making any other changes to this recipe.
To mold the candies, use silicone ice cube trays shaped like beer bottles, purchased from a local discount store. If you can't find similar molds, never fear! Cola gummies taste just as good when molded into other shapes, or when simply cut into squares!
Note: LorAnn brand cola flavor was used when testing this recipe. If you use other brands, you should taste the candy while preparing it, as different brands have different strengths and you might want to add more or less according to your taste.
- 4 tablespoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cola flavoring
- Optional: 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon citric acid
- If you're using candy molds, spray them very lightly with cooking spray and then wipe them with a paper towel to remove excess oil and leave only a thin film of oil on the molds. Otherwise, spray a loaf pan or 8x8-inch baking dish with spray and wipe it down lightly.
- Combine the gelatin and 1/4 cup of cold water in a small bowl, and whisk together well. Set aside for a few minutes to allow the gelatin to absorb the water.
- Combine the remaining 3/4 cup water and the granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir while the sugar dissolves, then continue to stir occasionally until it comes to a low simmer.
- Microwave the gelatin for 20 seconds, until it is mostly fluid. Remove the saucepan of simmering sugar syrup from the heat, and whisk in the liquid gelatin. Add the cola flavoring and citric acid, if using, and whisk well until everything is incorporated.
- Transfer the candy to a measuring cup with a spout. Pour it into the molds, or your prepared pan. Let the gummies sit at room temperature until they're set.
- Carefully peel them out of the molds. If you've formed them in a baking pan, cut them into small squares to serve.
- Store them in an airtight container preferably in a single layer so they don't stick together.