You've probably heard of a muskie, a mackerel, and a monkfish, but what about a mustache Zamora? Or, do you know the scientific names for any of these? Knowing both the common and scientific names for fish helps when researching and talking about specific species. And it never hurts when you're trying to sound like an expert. Here are some of the many fish names that start with M.
A freshwater fish found in the Mananjary River basin in Madagascar. A small fish, up to 9 cm in length, it favors the quiet, shaded waters of small streams.
Dimidiochromis compressiceps. A native of Lake Malawi, Africa, this aggressive breed is known to bite the eyes out of prey (thus the nickname). It also devours its prey starting with the tail, perhaps the only predator that does this.
Mangrove Red Snapper
Lutjanus argentimaculatus. A subtropical reef-dwelling fish found in waters from East Africa to Samoa and Australia. They are a prized food fish in the Indo-Pacific region but are difficult to catch in large numbers because they tend not to group.
Many Banded Shell-Dweller
Neolamprologus multifasciatus. Native to Lake Tanganyika, this territorial breed lays its eggs in empty snail shells, which it buries until only the opening is exposed.
Carnegiella strigata strigata.
A small (up to 3.5 cm) species found in rivers of South America. They like blackwater--dark, acidic water full of decaying organic matter. They must be kept in tanks with lids because they can jump when startled.
Julidochromis transcriptus. At 7 cm in length, this is the smallest breed of "Julie" fish.
Found near the shores of Lake Taganyika, Africa. Common coloring includes black and white striping and a bright blue line along several fins.
Periophthalmus novemraditus. Also called Indian Mudskipper, a brackish-water amphibian native to India, Southeast Asia and the Philippines. Must be kept in aquariums with lids because they can use their pelvic fins to climb the tank walls.
Other Fish Names That Start With M:
- Macmaster's Dwarf Cichlid - Apistogramma macmasteri
- Macculloch's Rainbowfish - Melanotaenia maccullochi
- Madeirae Swamp Eel - Synbranchus madeirae
- Magnificent Rasbora - Rasbora borapetensis
- Malabar Pufferfish - Tetraodon travancorius
- Malarmo Catfish - Duopalatinus malarmo
- Malawi Blue Dolphin - Cyrtocara moorii
- Malawi Eye-Biter - Dimidiochromis compressiceps
- Malawi Golden Cichlid - Melanochromis auratus
- Malay Combtail - Belontia hasselti
- Manchurian Loach - Leptobotia mantschurica
- Many-Spotted Cory - Corydoras polystictus
- Marakeli Cichlid - Paratilapia polleni "Madagascar"
- Marbled Bichir - Polypterus palmas
- Marbled Headstander - Abramites hypselonotus
- Marbled Lamprologus - Lepidiolamprologus attenuatus
- Marbled Livingston's Hap - Nimbochromis livingstonii
- Marbled Otocinclus - Otocinclus paulinus
- Marbled Sleeper Goby - Oxyeleotris marmorata
- Marbled Swamp Eel - Synbranchus marmoratus
- Marigold Swordtail - Xiphophorus helleri
- Marigold Wag Swordtail - Xiphophorus helleri
- Marlier's Julie - Julidochromis marlieri
- Marylin's Pencilfish - Nannostomus marylinae
- Meridionalis Gray Bichir - Polypterus senegalus meridionalis
- Mexican Sailfin Molly - Poecilia velifera
- Mexican Swordtail - Xiphophorus montizumae
- Mexican Tetra - Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus
- Midas Cichlid - Amphilophus citrinellus
- Millions Fish - Poecilia reticulata
- Modest Loach - Botia modesta
- Molly - Poecilia latipinna
- Molly "Black" - Poecilia sphenops
- Mono - Monodactylus argenteus
- Montezuma helleri - Xiphophorus montizumae
- Moonfish "Red Wag" - Xiphophorus maculatus "Red Wag"
- Moonfish "Vtiatus Sunset" - Xiphophorus maculatus "Vtiatus Sunset"
- Moonlight Gourami - Trichogaster microlepis
- Moore's Lamprologus - Variabilichromis moorii
- Mosaic Gourami - Trichogaster leeri
- Moss Barb - Capoeta tetrazona
- Motoro Stingray - Potamotrygon motoro
- Mottled Ctenopoma - Ctenopoma oxrynchum
- Mottled Stingray - Potamotrygon hystrix
- Mountain Barbel - Amphilius platychir
- Moustache Synodontis - Synodontis membranaceus
- Multifasciatus Dwarf Cichlid - Neolamprologus multifasciatus
- Multiradiatus Pleco - Liposarcus multiradiatus
- Murray River Rainbowfish - Melanotaenia fluviatilis
- Mustache Zamora - Auchenipterus nuchalis