- With a large, very sharp knife, carefully cut the stem end from the spaghetti squash.
- Stand the squash up on the flat end and slice it in half lengthwise. This will be easier than the harder stem end.
- With a spoon, scoop out the seeds and scrape out any loose, stringy membranes.
- Place the halves, cut sides down, in a microwave-safe baking dish.
- Add about 1 inch of water to the dish.
- Microwave on full power for 8 to 12 minutes, depending on the size of the squash and your microwave oven. My squash was small and took 10 minutes.
- Test the squash with a fork. It should be tender enough to penetrate the skin with very little resistance.
- Remove the baking dish from the microwave oven, drain, and flip the halves over.
- With a fork, gently scrape the insides of the halves to loosen the squash strands.
- Serve right away or refrigerate the "spaghetti" and warm up later.
A small squash will yield about 2 to 2 1/2 cups, enough for 4 servings.
Recipes Using Spaghetti Squash