Corner-to-corner crochet is a terrific technique. It allows you to begin in the corner of a crochet project, typically a crochet blanket or afghan square, and work towards the other corner in a way that produces a finished project that looks like a textured, layered version of the classic granny square. It's a unique technique but it builds upon basic crochet skills so it's very easy to learn. This guide shows you how to learn corner to corner crochet and showcases some of the best C2C... crochet patterns for practicing the technique.
01 of 04
How to Corner to Corner Crochet
There are several terrific tutorials online for learning corner to corner crochet. Here are some of the best options:
- How to Crochet Diagonal Square. Here is our step-by-step photo tutorial for this crochet stitch pattern.
- C2C Basic Stitch Tutorial, free from Craftsy. In this tutorial, I've shared the basic information that you need for starting any corner to corner crochet project.
- How to Crochet a Corner to Corner Afghan. This is a video tutorial that teaches C2C crochet. It's by Mikey... of The Crochet Crowd who is skilled at providing detailed video instructions.
- Step-by-step Photo Tutorial for Corner to Corner Crochet. Lauri Bolland explains that she learned this stitch decades ago, know more commonly at the time as the diagonal box stitch, and she found it difficult to understand without photos so she created her own photo tutorial to show others the way to work this pattern. This one is a free download through Ravelry.
- Image-Heavy C2C Tutorial. Likewise, String to a Thing has created an image-heavy written crochet tutorial for the stitch pattern.
Whether you work best using written instructions, photographs or videos, there is a corner-to-corner crochet stitch tutorial out there for you. These four should get you well on your way to a solid understanding of this beautifully textured stitch pattern.
02 of 04
Repeat Crafter Me C2C Graphghans
There are many different ways to implement this stitch but one of the most interesting, and currently most popular, is to create graphghans of favorite images using charts and this stitch. There is no better crochet designer for this type of work than Sarah Zimmerman of Repeat Crafter Me. Some of her free patterns that use this technique include:
- Christmas Graphghan C2C Blanket. This is the ultimate Christmas blanket and you can easily use the individual squares to create cushions and other fun... holiday projects.
- Corner-to-Corner Emoji Blanket. Take your favorite emojis and turn them into an afghan using the C2C graphghan technique.
- Owl Baby Blanket. This is one of my personal favorite corner-to-corner crochet blanket patterns. So cute!
- Sheep Graphghan C2C Blanket. This was the first of these types of blankets that Sarah designed and it remains a great choice!
Working through Sarah's free c2c graphghan crochet patterns is a great way to fully understand this amazing stitch and get a sense of how to turn any image into a blanket using this technique.
03 of 04
Other Corner to Corner Blanket Crochet Patterns
It is really fun to work with the free corner-to-corner crochet patterns that Repeat Crafter Me offers but of course she's not the only designer working with this awesome technique. Here are some more C2C blanket patterns:
- C2C Chevron Baby Blanket. This is a beautiful combination of the classic chevron blanket and the popular corner-to-corner technique. It's a free pattern from One Dog Woof.
- Winter Day Corner to Corner Blanket. This free crochet pattern by The Art of Craft shows how... variegated yarn can create beautiful color pooling in C2C blankets.
- Spring Into Summer Blanket. Susan of Felted Button does some of the best colorwork you'll find in crochet and this corner to corner crochet blanket is a great example of that.
04 of 04
Other C2C Crochet Pattern
Crochet blankets are a favorite project for the corner-to-corner crochet technique but of course other items can be made using this technique as well. Some terrific examples of other free c2c crochet patterns include:
- C2C Basics Scarf. Andee Graves shows how to make this stitch and turn it into a simple scarf.
- Corner to Corner Granny Shawl. Zooty created this free crochet pattern that puts a twist on the basic blanket design and makes it a shawl instead.
- Corner to Corner Dishcloth. This is an... instant gratification project for people looking to make something useful using the c2c stitch. It's a free pattern by Jessica's Crochet.
- Corner to Corner Crochet Earrings. Mandy Robinson offers this free crochet pattern as a Ravelry download. You'll also notice she offers several other accessories patterns that utilize this stitch.