This cornflake-crusted chicken cordon bleu makes for an impressive main dish for company or a special meal. Now, an ordinary chicken cordon bleu recipe would probably cost you the fat and calories department since the coating is often fries and a creamy sauce sometimes accompanies the dish.
This cornflake crusted chicken cordon bleu makes a crispy crust out of cornflakes and relies on flavorful fillings to keep the dish delicious.
- 1 cup cornflakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 3-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 ounces thinly sliced lean ham
- 4 ounces thinly sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 F
- Place the cornflakes in a 1-quart baggie, and seal the baggie. Use a meat mallet, or a rolling pin to crush the cornflakes in the baggie until the cornflakes resemble course breadcrumbs. Pour the breadcrumbs into a shallow dish along with the black pepper, and toss the ingredients together.
- In a separate shallow dish, beat the egg and add the melted butter. Combine the egg and the butter well using a wire whisk.
- Place the chicken breasts, one at a time, between two large pieces of wax paper. Use a meat mallet or a rolling pin to pound the chicken breasts until they are about 1/4 of an inch thick so that they will be easy to fill and roll.
- Prepare an assembly line for rolling the chicken by arranging the chicken breasts, then the sliced ham and mozzarella cheese, then the egg mixture, and then the cornflake mixture in a row. Begin by layering 1/4 an ounce of sliced ham, and then 1/2 of an ounce of thinly sliced cheese down the center of one chicken breast. Beginning at one end, roll the chicken breast up, enclosing the ham and the cheese in the middle. Secure the rolled chicken breast with a toothpick.
- Dredge the rolled chicken breast in the egg mixture, and then in the cornflake mixture, covering the chicken completely in the cornflake crumbs. Place the chicken breast in a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat for the remaining chicken breasts.
- Bake the chicken cordon bleu for 35-40 minutes, or until the breading is lightly browned, and the center of the chicken cordon bleu rolls are no longer pink.
The chicken cordon bleu is very versatile as it can be paired with any side dish. Sauteed zucchini makes an appropriate accompaniment, or serve with just a simple green salad for a delicious and healthy well-rounded meal.
Per Serving Calories 304, Fat 16 grams, Carbs 2 grams, Pro 36 grams