This easy corn flake wreaths recipe is a long-time holiday favorite because they're so fast and simple to whip up and make a great kids' cooking project.
Kids and adults alike love the sweet taste and crunchy, chewy texture of these cute wreaths. Enjoy them on their own, serve them as part of a holiday cookie plate, or package them individually and hand them out as party favors.
- 4 ounces butter
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 bottle green food coloring
- 4 cups corn flakes
- 24 small red candies (like red hots)
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave the butter just until melted. Add the marshmallows to the bowl, and microwave in 30-second intervals until the marshmallows are melted, stirring between each interval.
3. Once the marshmallows and butter are melted and smooth, stir in the almond extract, vanilla extract, and enough food coloring to get the desired color.
Adding the cornflakes will dilute the green color, so make the color a little darker than you want the finished product to be.
4. Pour the cornflakes over the marshmallow mixture and stir gently to coat the flakes, trying not to crush them.
5. Place a heaping spoonful of coated cornflakes onto the prepared baking sheet. Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray, and gently form a hole in the middle of the candy, working it into a 3-inch wreath to yield 8 candies.
6. While the wreath is still sticky, press three red candies in a cluster on each wreath for decoration.
7. Allow the wreaths to set at room temperature, then carefully remove them from the baking sheet. Serve them at room temperature. These candies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. Separate each layer of candy with waxed paper so that they do not stick together.
You can make the wreaths any size you like, or make a variety of sizes from one batch. For example. if the cornflakes are shaped into 2.5-inch wreaths, the yield will be 12 and you will need 36 red candies instead of 24 for decoration.