This cranberry orange relish recipe relies heavily on multiple sources of citrus to achieve its strong orange essence. Cranberry orange sauce is a marvelous accent to traditional roasted turkey, but also gives a delicious flavor boost to Cornish hens. For an unexpected twist on leftovers, layer the orange-flavored berries into a vanilla yogurt and granola parfait as breakfast or a healthy dessert.
Cook's note: This recipe is tailor-made for entertaining dinner guests because the finished sauce tastes wonderful after being refrigerated overnight and allowing the flavor to develop and mellow.
This cranberry orange relish recipe makes 6 garnish-sized servings.
- 2 cups dried, sweetened cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange zest
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (or premium orange liqueur)
- Place the dried cranberries and water in a bowl and allow them to soak and rehydrate for 1 hour.
- Transfer the rehydrated cranberries and any remaining liquid to a medium-sized saucepan set over medium heat. Add the orange juice, orange zest, and Grand Marnier to the cranberries and simmer the mixture for 5 minutes, until the liquid reduces a bit.
- Remove the cranberry orange sauce from the heat and allow it to cool. This sauce can be made up to 48 hours in advance and kept in the refrigerator until it is time to serve.