These cream cheese crescent cookies are classic for the holidays. The basic cookies are easy to dress up for holidays. Dip the cookies in chocolate or drizzle chocolate or vanilla icing over the cooled cookies. Sprinkle dipped cookies with finely chopped nuts or colorful decorative sugars.
Like most cookies, these freeze well. Make a big batch and freeze some (undecorated) for another day.
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Optional: almond bark (or dipping chocolate, melted)
- Optional: finely chopped nuts or decorative sugars
- Optional: melted chocolate chip drizzle (or vanilla icing, see instructions, below)
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl; stir and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese until light. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla, and almond extracts. Beat until well blended. Gradually add flour mixture, beating on low speed after each addition.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the cookie dough for about 1 hour, or until firm.
- Take portions of the chilled dough and work it into long ropes on a lightly floured surface. Cut the ropes into 1 1/2-inch lengths and roll lightly to taper the ends. Shape into crescents and arrange the cookies on ungreased or parchment lined baking sheets.
- Alternatively, shape the cookie dough into balls, place on the baking sheets, and flatten with fork or bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until set and lightly browned around the edges.
- Cool cookies before icing.
- Melt almond bark or chocolate candy coating. Dip cookies in the melted coating or drizzle it over the cooled cookies.
- For festive Christmas cookies or holiday cookies, sprinkle dipped cookies with chopped nuts or decorative sugar if desired.
- Chocolate Drizzle: In a saucepan over low heat, combine 1 cup of chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon of shortening; stir until melted and smooth. Put the slightly cooled melted chocolate mixture in a small sandwich bag. Cut a very small piece of the corner out and drizzle chocolate in a thin stream over cooled cookies.
- Vanilla Icing: In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon of soft butter and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract or a few drops of almond extract. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk, or enough to reach the desired consistency for dipping or drizzling.
- Add about 1 cup of finely chopped slivered almonds or another kind of nut to the cookie dough.