This flavorful cream cheese frosting makes enough for a large rectangle or two layer cake.
This recipe is made with vanilla as the flavoring, but there are many more flavors and possible additions. Take a look at the variations for more.
The amount of confectioners' sugar you add depends on whether you will be spreading or piping the frosting. Use a bit less for spreading and more to make a stiffer frosting for piping. If your frosting turns out too stiff, thin it with a small amount of milk or cream.
- 1 (8 tablespoons) stick butter (softened)
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese (softened)
- 3 1/2-4 cups confectioners' sugar (about 1 pound, sifted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together until fluffy.
- With the electric mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a little at a time; continue beating until well blended. Beat on high speed until very smooth and creamy.
- The recipe makes enough cream cheese frosting for a 2-layer cake.
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting: Blend 1/2 cup of sifted unsweetened cocoa into the powdered sugar.Add to the cream cheese mixture.
- Peppermint: Add 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract. Decorate the frosting with crushed peppermint candies, if desired.
- Maple: Add a few tablespoons of pure maple syrup or add maple extract, to taste.
- Lemon: Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon extract.