This easy creamed chicken recipe is made with cooked cubed chicken, mushrooms, butter, light cream, and a small amount of sherry. This recipe takes as little as 20 minutes, from start to finish.
A rotisserie chicken or a package of fully cooked chicken strips would be ideal for this easy recipe. Or poach or bake 2 to 3 chicken breast halves. I've used refrigerated fully cooked chicken strips in the recipe.
See the variations for some additional ideas for ingredients and substitutions.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup seasoned chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half (or light cream)
- 2 cups cooked and cubed chicken
- 1 (4 oz) can mushrooms (undrained)
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- Optional: 1-2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: 6 puff pastry shells, toast points, biscuits, or rice
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually add the chicken broth and cream. Continue cooking until thickened and smooth, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken pieces and the mushrooms with their liquid. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the creamed chicken mixture is hot and beginning to bubble.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and then stir in the sherry; heat through.
- Serve over rice or pasta, on toast points, split biscuits, or in baked puff pastry shells.
- Replace the chicken with cooked and cubed leftover turkey or ham.
- Add cooked peas or peas and carrots to the sauce.
- Add 1 small jar of diced pimientos, about 2 tablespoons (drained).