This creamed ham is delicious on grits or rice or serve it over pasta, toast points, hot split biscuits, or baked puff pastry shells.
Feel free to use peas and carrots in place of the peas, or add some chopped pimiento for extra flavor and color. Asparagus would be delicious in the sauce as well.
Chicken or turkey would be delicious along with the ham in this dish.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup green onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley (minced)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups diced ham
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (thawed, cooked and drained)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: parmesan cheese
Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the green onion and minced parsley and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour until smooth and bubbly. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Gradually add the milk and heavy cream. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
Stir in diced ham and cooked peas, along with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Serve the creamed ham over rice, grits, toast, or biscuits.
Serves 4 to 6
- Add about 1/4 cup of good quality grated Parmesan cheese to the sauce along with the diced ham and peas.
- Replace about half of the ham with diced cooked turkey or chicken.
You Might Also Like