These creamed onions make a tasty side dish to serve along with a holiday meal. It's also a great sauce to serve over fish fillets or baked chicken.
The onions are cooked and then combined with a basic white sauce. Add fresh chopped chives, parsley, or other herbs to the sauce, depending on the meal and occasion.
- 3 pounds small white onions, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- few drops hot sauce
- Place onions in saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and enough water to cover. Bring onions to a boil; cover and cook 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- For the sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt butter in saucepan; blend in flour and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Gradually add milk; cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Stir in hot sauce.
- Drain onions and add to the sauce; heat through and serve.
You Might Also Like