Serve this easy, delicious chicken dish over rice or split biscuits for a wonderful family meal. Serve along with a tossed salad or sliced fresh tomatoes and cucumbers.
Toast points or puff pastry shells make a good base for this chicken as well.
Classic Chicken à la King Recipe
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cooked peas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the chicken into small cubes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter with the olive oil. Add the chicken and onions and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and parsley and continue cooking, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are golden brown and onions are softened.
- With a slotted spoon, move the chicken mixture to a bowl; set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir until well blended. Add the chicken broth and cook, stirring, until thickened. Add the cream and stir the chicken mixture back into the pan. Stir in the cooked peas and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Serve over split biscuits or hot cooked rice.
You Might Also Like