This easy creamy crab dip is made with canned crab meat, but feel free to use fresh cooked crab if you have it. Or use convenient imitation crab meat, which is made with white fish and often a small amount of crab meat.
Cream cheese and mayonnaise are combined with crabmeat to make this creamy, tasty dip. It's a very easy dip to prepare with just a few simple seasonings.
Serve the dip with vegetables, chips, crostini, or crackers.
Add a tablespoon or two of chopped fresh parsley to the dip for extra color. See the tips and variations and reader comments below the recipe for more add-ins and substitution ideas.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened*
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 1 can (about 6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, cartilage removed, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, milk, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce to taste. Blend well. Gently fold in the chopped crabmeat.
- Cover and refrigerate the crab dip until it is thoroughly chilled.
- Serve this creamy crab dip with chips, crackers, or raw vegetable dippers.
- Makes about 2 cups of crab dip.
*To soften 8 ounces of cream cheese quickly, unwrap it and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on 100% power for 15 to 20 seconds. Another way is to cut the block of cold cream cheese into small pieces and beat it with an electric mixer until it's smooth and creamy.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of finely chopped green onions.
- Double the amount of crab in the dip.
- Add 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped dill or about 1/2 teaspoon of dried dill weed.
- Sprinkle paprika over the top of the dip.
- Replace the crab with imitation crab made with pollock or hake. There's usually a small amount of crab meat in these products, so don't use them if you have an allergy to shellfish.
- Add some chopped cooked shrimp and/or scallops to the dip for a seafood dip.
"Very tasty and only took about 5 minutes to make. Will add this to my list of regulars." — A.T.
"I made this with artificial crab because it was what I had in the freezer ... it was fantastic as a dip and as a potato-topping. I added chopped green onions for color." — G.T.
You Might Also Like