We are all familiar with crispy hash brown potatoes as a side dish with eggs, but this bag of frozen shredded potatoes can do a lot more than just sit on the plate. When combined with cream, butter, and cheese, hash browns turn into something unexpected and irresistible—the potatoes still crisp up but are surrounded by a rich creaminess, making a casserole that is the best of both worlds. It will be a hit at family gatherings, potluck parties, and—since it is so easy to make—the everyday breakfast table!
Don't forget to thaw the potatoes before you begin the recipe. You can also make this even more decadent and mix in some other types of shredded cheese; just use about a cup or two of your favorite kind.
- 2 cups half and half or light cream
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 2 (12 oz.) pkgs. frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Combine half and half, butter, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and cook until butter melts. Do not let the cream boil.
3. Place potatoes in a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish. Pour hot cream and butter mixture over potatoes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes until potatoes begin to brown on top.
Additional Recipes Using Frozen Hash Browns
This creamy shredded potato casserole is the perfect recipe for adding a meat and your favorite vegetables, so feel free to throw in some cooked bacon, cubed ham, steamed broccoli, or sauteed peppers.
If you have a bag of frozen hash browns, you have endless possibilities for not only breakfast but also dinner! Breaded chicken sits on a bed of creamy and crispy hash browns in this chicken potato bake, and frozen meatballs become a hearty dish in meaty hash brown potato casserole. You can also add a bit more substance to your frittata recipe by including thawed shredded potatoes or make a better-than-fast-food breakfast on-the-go with a bacon hash brown roll-up.