Potato soup is a comforting and versatile dish. It can be light enough for a lunch with a sandwich or hearty enough for a main dish along with a salad and crusty bread or biscuits.
Top this flavorful soup with a tablespoon or two of shredded cheese, sliced green onions or chopped fresh parsley.
The pictured soup was made with diced cooked ham, but the ham may be replaced with diced and browned smoked sausage or crumbled browned mild Italian sausage or a similar ground sausage. See the tips and variations below the recipe for more ideas.
Related Recipe: Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 large carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 to 3 cups diced ham, about 1 pound
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 to 5 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half or whole milk, more if needed to thin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Sliced green onions or chives, for garnish, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and ham.
- Cook, stirring frequently until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Add vegetable broth and water and potatoes; cover and cook for about 25 minutes, until potatoes, are tender.
- Whisk flour into the heavy cream until smooth; stir into the hot mixture.
- Stir in the half-and-half or milk. Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired.
- Continue cooking until hot.
- Mash the potatoes slightly to thicken; add more milk if the soup is too thick.
- Serve the potato soup garnished with parsley, sliced green onions or chives, or a little bit of shredded cheese.
Tips and Variations
- Add a cup or more of chopped kale, chard leaves, or spinach to the soup along with the other vegetables.
- Lighten the soup with lowfat or fat free half-and-half in place of the heavy cream.
- Omit the diced ham or replace it with 1 or 2 cups of diced sausage or crumbled browned ground sausage, mild or spicy. Or add cooked crumbled bacon before it's done.
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the soup along with the milk and cook until the cheese has melted.
- Slow Cooker: Follow steps 1 through 4 and then transfer the cooked vegetables to the slow cooker. Add the broth, water, and potatoes. Cover and cook on HIGH for about 2 to 3 hours, or until the potatoes are very tender. Add the cream and flour mixture to thicken and continue with the recipe.