This amazing buttermilk ice cream is a flavorful, creamy custard-based ice cream with the rich and tangy flavor of buttermilk. Serve this fabulous buttermilk ice cream with a fruity sauce or your favorite ice cream topping. Better yet, serve a scoop on top of a slice of apple pie or peach cobbler.
The ice cream may also be made with sour cream instead of buttermilk. If you like add-ins, consider mini chocolate chips or chopped nuts.
This will quickly become one of your favorite homemade ice cream recipes!
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk, cold
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer, stirring frequently. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with sugar. Whisk about 1 cup of the simmering cream into the egg mixture until well blended; stir back into the hot mixture in the saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cold, well-shaken buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Put the mixture in an ice bath or refrigerate the mixture until very cold, about 2 hours.
- Freeze in your ice cream freezer following manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer to a container and cover tightly. Freeze the ice cream until firm.
- Makes about 1 quart of ice cream.
You Might Also Like