This hearty taco soup is made with ground beef, cheese, and tomatoes. The recipe calls for one or two cans of pinto beans, but feel free to use black beans or chili beans instead. I added 1 can of pinto beans and 1 cup of corn kernels.
Top this taco soup with shredded taco seasoned cheese, cheddar, or pepper jack cheese.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 can (approximately 10 ounces) Ro-Tel (tomatoes with green chiles)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili no beans
- 1 to 2 cans pinto beans*
- 2 cups sour cream
- tortilla chips or tortilla strips (see below)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onion until the beef is no longer pink and the onion is translucent.
- Combine the Velveeta, tomatoes, chili, and beans together in a large pot. Stir in the browned ground beef and onions.
- Add the sour cream and season with kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and garlic powder, to taste. Heat through.
- Serve with tortilla chips crunched up or fried tortilla strips. The chips can be a garnish or add some to the bowls before you add the soup.
Serves 6 to 8
If you prefer a "soupier" soup, do not drain the beans. If you like your soup thicker, drain beans and tomatoes.
Tips and Variations
- The soup can be served as a dip with chips. Drain the beans and tomatoes before adding them to the pot. Heat and transfer to a slow cooker or chafing dish and keep warm for serving.
- Add about 1 cup of beef stock if the soup is too thick.
- Season with commercial taco seasoning in place of the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add 1 or 2 cups of corn kernels to the soup.
- How to Make Baked Tortilla Strips: Brush both sides of six 6-inch corn tortillas with vegetable oil. Stack the corn tortillas and slice into strips. Spread the strips out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake in a preheated 375 F oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp. For chips, slice the tortilla stack into triangles.
- How to Make Fried Tortilla Strips: Slice the tortillas as above. Heat about 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot (water or a bit of flour should sizzle), add the tortilla chips and cook, stirring and turning, until they are browned and crisp.
You Might Also Like