Looking for a white sauce you can use to try your hand at a gourmet white pizza like the kind you've had at Italian pizza kitchen restaurants? Here's a basic white sauce for pizza made from simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen at home: Butter, flour, milk, garlic powder, Italian seasonings and plenty of fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
Use this white cream sauce to top pizza or pasta. This is a rich, heavy and delicious cream sauce, so very little is needed in order to get a great flavor. The garlic powder, Italian seasonings and salt and pepper are barely even needed with all that milk, butter and Parmesan cheese! Use it to create the perfect vegetarian pizza! Vegetarian pizza, when made at home, doesn't have to be full of grease and fat if you keep the cheese to a minimum, and it makes for one of my favorite simple and easy vegetarian dinners to cook at home.
Need a homemade dough recipe to accompany your homemade white pizza? Here's my favorite easy pizza dough recipe. It's made with flour, salt, olive oil and yeast and comes together fairly quickly.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cup cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or a blend of basil and oregano)
- dash salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat (just enough to get it to melt) and then add in the flour, stirring until thick and pasty. Using a fork is best for this. You'll end up with a pasty white clump, essentially.
- Turn up the heat to medium-low and then slowly add in the milk, whisking it all together constantly to avoid lumps.
- Add in the garlic powder, the Italian seasoning (or a blend of basil and oregano), salt and pepper (sea salt or kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper are almost always best and highly recommended) and allow your sauce to simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until it has thickened.
- Stir in the freshly grated Parmesan cheese until the cheese has melted and is well incorporated.
Your white sauce will thicken further as it cools, so add in a bit more milk if needed and, conversely, don't worry if it seems too thin while on the stovetop over the heat.
This recipe makes a generous amount; more than enough white sauce for one large pizza.
Looking for more creative ways to enjoy homemade pizza? Here are some of my favorite vegetarian pizza ideas, including pesto pizza, pizza bagels for kids, grilled eggplant pizza, apple and pumpkin pizza, goat cheese pizza and much, much more. Enjoy!