With as few as 5 ingredients, crepes are easier to make than you might think, and they can be used as a dessert or main dish.
Use a blender or immersion blender to make a smooth crepe batter, or strain it through a sieve if there are any small lumps.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk, warm
- 1/4 cup melted butter, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
If you plan to serve warm crepes all at once, preheat the oven to 200 F.
Beat the eggs until smooth. Add the warm milk and melted butter. Sift flour and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Using a whisk or an electric blender, beat the batter until it is smooth.
The batter will be thin, like heavy cream. If it has some lumps, strain the batter through a fine mesh sieve.
If possible, let the batter rest for an hour or two in the refrigerator.
Or make the batter 8 to 10 hours before you plan to cook.
Grease a small skillet (7- or -8-inch) or crepe pan with some butter; heat until the butter is sizzling hot.
Pour the batter into the pan and rotate quickly to distribute batter. If the batter seems too thick, add more milk in very small amounts until the consistency is thin enough to pour.
Cook the crepe until the edges are lightly browned; flip it over to cook the other side.
Place the crepe on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and place it in the preheated oven, if desired.
Lightly grease the pan again, and continue cooking crepes until all of the batter has been used.
Fill them with desired filling or cool, wrap, and refrigerate until ready to fill.
Cover the bowl with the batter and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
Crepe batter is very thin, so cooks quickly. To check for browning, lift one edge of the crepe with a spatula to look at the bottom.
- Dessert Crepes:Add 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla to crepe batter.
- Whole Wheat Crepes: Substitute 1/2 cup whole wheat flour for 1/2 cup of white flour.
- Cornmeal Crepes: Substitute 1/2 cup cornmeal for 1/2 cup white flour.
- Chocolate Crepes: Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa to the crepe batter.
- Cheese Crepes: Add 1/2 cup grated cheese to crepe batter. Stir the batter frequently to keep the cheese evenly distributed.
You Might Also Like