This yummy ground beef stroganoff is baked to perfection in a simple crescent roll crust. The ground beef and mushrooms are combined with sour cream and then topped with shredded cheese just before baking.
It's an easy, tasty meal for any weeknight dinner, and the kids will love it. Serve it with green beans or carrots, or a basic tossed salad.
I used a Cheddar blend for the topping, but shredded American or Cheddar Jack cheese could be used as well.
- 1 package (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 to 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef, lean (ground round)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded Cheddar or American process cheese
- Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C/Gas 5).
- Unroll the crescent roll dough and press into the bottom of an ungreased 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan to form the thin crust (see the photo).
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef, onions, and mushrooms to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until the ground beef is no longer pink and the mushrooms and onions are tender. Add the paprika and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in sour cream until well blended.
- Spoon the ground beef mixture into the baking pan and spread over the crust. Sprinkle evenly with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is baked and browned around the edges.
- Cut into squares to serve.
- Serve with a side vegetable or tossed salad. Steamed broccoli or roasted Brussels sprouts are excellent choices or serve with your family's favorite veggies.