These quick and easy Parmesan cheese "crackers" can be enjoyed as a low carb snack or shape them into small "baskets" or bowls to hold vegetables, chicken salad, or other ingredients. Or make small flat wafers and half bury them in a rice pilaf or risotto.
They're delicious, cheesy, crispy little treats, and they can either be baked in the oven or quickly microwaved. Use a silicone mat or parchment paper so they'll peel off easily once cooled. If you make them thick and cook them until they are lightly browned, they will be crispy. Thicker wafers cooked for a little less time will be chewy.
They are very similar to the expensive low carb all-cheese crackers, and they are a snap to make!
Cheddar Cheese Twists
- fresh, good quality shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Shape small, round mounds of Parmesan cheese to the size you'd like. These can be for simple round shapes, larger shapes that can be used as little serving bowls, cigar shapes, or other shape ideas.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and edges have browned. Remove from the oven and immediately remove to a flat surface to cool for wafers, or drape them over a rolling pin or ramekins while still warm to make "baskets."
Microwave Oven Method
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a paper plate or microwave-safe dinner plate. Spread a small amount of grated or shredded Parmesan cheese into a circle on the parchment paper. Or make a large circle if you are making a bowl or basket.
- Microwave on full power for about 25 to 35 seconds. The wafers should be lightly browned.
- Let them cool for snack wafers or crackers, or drape them over ramekins while still warm to make "baskets."
- Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Separate layers with wax paper.
Variations and Tips
- Herb Parmesan Crackers - Add about 1 teaspoon of snipped chives or chopped basil or thyme to each 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Garlic Parmesan Crackers - Add 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder to each 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Cracked Black Pepper Parmesan Crackers - Toss with freshly ground (coarse) black pepper, to taste.
- Parmesan cheese has 431 calories per 100 grams (3 1/2 ounces). 1/4 cup of shredded Parmesan weighs roughly 22 grams and 1/4 cup of grated about 30 grams.
- Dogs love cheese! If your dog tolerates cheese well, make a few plain cheese treats just for Fido.
You Might Also Like