Before we begin I'd like to make sure you've had a chance to see Dr. Vincent Ianbelli's informative article about baby shoes. It's important to understand that Dr. Iannelli recommends waiting until a baby is walking before dressing him or her in shoes.
If you are interested in crocheting footwear for a soon-to-be newborn, rather than a baby who is already walking, I would highly recommend that you consider making baby booties, baby slippers, or baby socks instead of baby shoes.
Here are some links to free patterns for all of the above:
- Pictured at above right: Erica Jackofsky designed these crocheted baby booties that resemble a pair of Mary-Jane style baby shoes. Cute, aren't they? They're a fantastic unisex pattern. What do you think?
- Free crochet patterns for baby booties and baby slippers
- Free crochet patterns for socks -- This link takes you to a variety of different sock patterns in a broad range of sizes; there are sock patterns appropriate for everyone in the family, including babies and children. I don't have a separate page featuring just baby socks; many of the patterns on this page are multi-sized.
If you think you might like to buy a pattern for baby socks or baby booties, there are many fantastic options available:
- by Robyn Chachula features an outstanding, versatile baby sock pattern. Additionally, there's a cute pattern for baby boots -- not booties, actual boots -- plus many other baby patterns. If you think you might like to make several baby projects, this book would be a good one to consider. This crochet pattern book is published by Interweave Press.
- Dressing Up Baby by Darla Sims features crochet patterns for five different baby layette sets. Each layette set includes four items: a pair of baby booties, a baby blanket, a little sweater, and a hat to top it all off. This crochet pattern book is published by Leisure Arts.
More Frequently Asked Questions About Crochet:
- What yarn should I use for crocheting potholders?
- Where can I find crochet patterns for milk jug covers?
- Can I use crochet charts for knitting?
- Which yarn should a beginning crocheter buy?
- Where can I go to buy a Tunisian crochet hook?
Find More From This Author
- Meet Amy Solovay, Author and Crochet Pattern Designer for About.com
- Find More Crochet Patterns by Amy Solovay
- Connect With Amy on Ravelry