The Bottom Line
The Crock-Pot® BBQ Pit won't replace old-fashioned wood or charcoal barbecue methods, but it is a handy alternative for busy cooks needing a hands-free appliance.
- Counter-top model is easy to use indoors.
- Two-position rack for ribs and meats.
- Dishwasher- and oven-safe removable stoneware liner.
- May be difficult to clean stoneware of burned on foods.
- Requires extensive storage space.
- No handles on the bottom heating unit, so place carefully before beginning.
- Large domed lid allows cooking of large cuts of meat and is removable for cleaning.
- Low and High heat settings.
- Two-position rack, with lifter handles, for roasts or to cook ribs in a standing position.
- Removable stoneware insert is dishwasher-safe.
- Stoneware crock is safe for conventional oven use.
- Includes cookbook with dozens of recipes as well as general cooking guidelines for various meats.
- May be used as a steamer by placing liquid in the bottom and using the rack.
- May be used as an over-sized standard Crock-Pot® for large quantity cooking.
Guide Review - Crock-Pot® BBQ Pit by Rival
The Rival Crock-Pot® is a staple appliance in most American households, so it was with great interest that I tackled their newest product, the Crock-Pot® BBQ Pit.
There is a bit of a learning curve. Read through the cookbook manual before you begin.
It's best to use the included rack and dry meats for best barbecue-style results. Cook foods without the rack only if you want a skewed result.
If your dishwasher is large enough, this is the best method to clean the stoneware insert. Cleaning by hand will most likely take considerable elbow grease to remove burned on foods until the stoneware gets seasoned with use.
Spray with cooking oil before using to reduce clean-up. A paste of baking soda and water can be used on tough spots.
If you love your traditional Crock-Pot® but need a larger capacity, feel free to use this model as a super-sized slow cooker. Place a sheet of heavy-duty foil over the top of the stoneware before closing the lid to make a tighter seal.
The unit measures about 20 by 16 inches, so plan on making room to store it. It has no handles on the base heating unit, so don't attempt to move it once it has heated up. Handles are attached to the stoneware insert.
Crock-Pot® BBQ Pit won't replace old-fashioned wood or charcoal barbecue methods, but it is a handy alternative for busy cooks needing a hands-free appliance.