https://www.thespruce.com/turnip-greens-with-ham-shanks-3053965These crock pot black-eyed peas and collard greens make a fabulous meal with baked cornbread and a salad. Black-eyed peas and greens are a natural combination, and the addition of bacon, tomato paste, garlic, and pepper flakes flavors the dish perfectly. Use fresh collard greens or a combination of collard greens and turnip greens.
I used dried black-eyed peas in the dish (pictured) and cooked them the day before (see tips and variations). For a faster meal, use 2 cans of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed.
- 2 pounds collard greens or combination of collard greens and turnip greens
- 8 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock, low sodium or unsalted
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 large dried bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 to 3 cups cooked and drained black-eyed peas (see tips and variations)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Fill the sink with cold water. Wash the collard greens in 3 to 4 changes of water, or until there is absolutely no grit on the bottom of the sink. Cut thick stems out of the greens and chop the leaves or cut them crosswise into strips. Even if the package says "cleaned," rinse the greens thoroughly.
In a large skillet, cook the bacon until cooked but not crisp; remove the bacon to paper towels to drain.
Add the chopped onion to the skillet and cook until lightly browned. Add the greens, a handful at a time, until all are added and have wilted from the heat.
Add the bacon, onions, and greens to the slow cooker along with the garlic, chicken stock, tomato paste, vinegar, bay leaves, and the red pepper flakes. Stir in the cooked black eyed peas.
Cover the crock pot and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours.
Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.
Serve the peas and greens with freshly baked cornbread and a tossed salad or sliced tomatoes.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the bacon with about 1 cup of diced ham, diced or sliced smoked sausage, or crumbled cooked fresh sausage.
- Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas - Combine 1 pound of sorted and rinsed dried black-eyed peas in the slow cooker with a large peeled and sliced onion, 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, minced, and 6 cups of water. Cover the pot and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for about 3 hours. Drain and use in a recipe or freeze in zip-close freezer bags.