This is one of those all-in-one crock pot dishes that your family will ask for again and again. It is a snap to prepare. Just layer the ingredients in your slow cooker, set it on low, and go about your daily tasks while it cooks.
This recipe is a great way to use leftover grilled or roasted chicken or use a package of convenient store-bought cooked chicken or a rotisserie chicken. Turkey could be used in this casserole as well. Or, replace the chicken with extra black beans or white beans and some extra cheese for a vegetarian option.
- 9 corn tortillas, 6-inch
- 1 can (12 to 16 ounces) whole kernel corn with peppers, drained
- 2 to 3 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chile peppers, mild
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese or mild Cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- guacamole or sour cream, optional
- Spray the interior of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place 3 tortillas in bottom of slow cooker.
- Top the tortillas with the drained corn, half of the chicken, about half of the seasonings, and half of the chile peppers.
- Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheese and pour about 3/4 cup of enchilada sauce over the cheese.
- Repeat with 3 more tortillas, the black beans, remaining chicken, seasonings, chile peppers, and cheese.
- Top with remaining tortillas and enchilada sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Serve the casserole with guacamole or sour cream, if desired.
Tips and Variations
- Substitute pepper jack cheese or a taco seasoned cheese for the cheddar blend.
- If you don't have black beans, use pinto beans, navy beans, or seasoned chili beans.
- Use diced cooked turkey instead of the chicken.
- Omit the chicken and add extra black beans or another kind of beans and extra cheese for a vegetarian dish.
- For extra heat, add about a tablespoon of chopped jalapeno peppers to each layer with the mild peppers.
- Garnish the sour cream or guacamole with chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onions, or diced fresh tomatoes.
You Might Also Like