This corned beef and cabbage recipe is convenient and easy, and it's a whole meal. The corned beef brisket is cooked to perfection in the slow cooker along with potatoes, carrots, and cabbage wedges for a fabulous Sunday dinner or St. Patrick's Day feast.
Feel free to add some parsnips to the vegetables. Sliced onions are an excellent addition, or add a handful of small boiling onions along with the celery. See the tips and variations for more add-in ideas.
Corned beef makes fabulous leftovers, too. Feel free to use a larger brisket if you plan to use the leftovers in other recipes.
- 6 to 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into thick (about 1/2-inch) slices
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 corned beef brisket, about 3 pounds
- 1 head of cabbage, about 2 pounds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Lightly butter or spray a 5 to 6-quart crock pot; layer potato slices over bottom of the pot with carrots and celery.
- Place corned beef on vegetables. Slice cabbage into 8 wedges and arrange around meat. Sprinkle with the pepper and add water.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting for 7 to 8 hours, until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove meat to a platter; cover with foil and rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
Tips and Variations
- A small peeled and diced rutabaga or a few turnips may be added along with the vegetables. Or add some sliced parsnips.
- Slice a large sweet onion and add it to the pot along with the potatoes, carrots, and celery. Or add about a dozen small peeled boiling onions or frozen pearl onions.