This eggplant Parmesan is layered and baked in the slow cooker. The eggplant is first coated with crumbs and sauteed.
This cooking method is a good alternative to the oven. It's especially good for the summertime, because the slow cooker doesn't heat the kitchen up like the oven does.
Serve the eggplant with hot cooked spaghetti or other pasta, or just add a tossed salad or Caesar salad to complete the meal.
- Cut the eggplant in 1/2-inch slices; place in bowl in layers, sprinkling each layer with salt. Let stand 30 minutes to drain excess moisture; dry on paper towels.
- In a shallow bowl beat the eggs with 1/3 cup water and the flour. Dip the eggplant slices in batter, letting excess drip off.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the eggplant slices in batches just until lightly browned, turning to brown both sides.
- Combine seasoned bread crumbs with the Parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- In the crock pot, layer one-quarter of the eggplant, top with one-quarter of the crumbs, one-quarter of the marinara sauce and one-quarter of the Mozzarella cheese. Repeat to make four layers of eggplant, crumbs, sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
You Might Also Like