This is an easy and popular crock pot hamburger dip made with ground beef, cream cheese, and grated or shredded cheese, along with garlic, peppers, and tomato sauce. It's an excellent dip to make for a party, game day gathering, or tailgating event.
The pictured dip was made with Monterey Jack cheese in place of the Parmesan cheese. In addition, extra chopped jalapeno peppers and some cayenne pepper were added for extra for heat. Bell peppers would be excellent in this dip as well, and the cream cheese may be replaced with 1 pound of cubed Velveeta cheese. See the variations for more substitutions and add-in ideas.
Serve the dip hot from the slow cooker with tortilla chips, corn chips, or an assortment of crackers. Offer some celery and carrot sticks for guests on a gluten-free or low carb diets.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) mild chile peppers, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, mild to medium heat
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans (8-ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or another type of shredded cheese
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef with the chopped onion and jalapeno pepper, if using. Drain off fat.
- Transfer the drained browned meat mixture to the crockery insert of the crockpot. Add the garlic, mild chile peppers, chili powder, ground cumin, salt, black pepper, tomato sauce, ketchup, oregano, sugar, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese (or another type of cheese).
- Cover the crockpot and cook on LOW for about 2 hours, or until cream cheese has melted and is thoroughly blended.
- Stir, taste, and adjust seasoning, as needed.
- Serve the dip hot, directly from the crockpot, or move to a chafing dish with tortilla chips, crackers, or vegetables for dipping.
- Use a combination of ground beef and ground spicy sausage in the dip. Brown with the onion and jalapeno peppers and drain well. Add to the slow cooker with the remaining ingredients.
- Replace the ketchup with chili sauce.
- Replace part or all of the cream cheese with Velveeta process cheese product.
- Instead of Parmesan cheese, use a sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a shredded Mexican blend.
- For more heat, add 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or extra chopped jalapeno peppers. Pepper jack cheese may be added as well.
- For less heat, omit the jalapeno pepper or replace it with sweet red or green bell pepper.
- Replace one can of tomato sauce with 1 cup of chunky salsa.