This slow cooker lamb stew is a classic combination of lamb, potatoes, and carrots. It might look simple, but the flavor is extraordinary. Parsnips and rutabagas may be added to the stew as well, or add some frozen peas about 30 minutes before the dish is finished cooking.
Serve the stew with a salad and crusty homemade bread for a fabulous cool weather meal.
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, low sodium or salt-free
- 3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound red-skinned or round white potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced, about 5 medium potatoes
- 2 pounds lamb neck pieces or shoulder chops, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- Pour the chicken broth into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- If desired, brown the lamb in a large skillet over medium heat in a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Put all the vegetables in the crock pot. Arrange the lamb pieces on the vegetables.
- Add boiling broth to the crock pot and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours on HIGH or 7 to 9 hours on LOW.
- Sprinkle fresh chopped parsley over the stew and serve hot with thick, crusty bread.
Shared by Sadiqa, a Native San Franciscan in Saudi
You Might Also Like: