Little smoked sausages are my choice for this recipe, but mini cocktail wieners would be delicious as well. The grape jelly sauce is ridiculously easy to make, and they are always a hit!
Keep them simple or jazz them up with additional ingredients or seasonings. See the tips and variations below the instructions for some possible substitutions and flavor ideas.
Have toothpicks, plates, and napkins on hand for your guests, and serve them hot right from the slow cooker.
- 2 packages (1 pound each) little smokies (mini smoked sausages)
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 cup grape jelly
Combine little smokies or cocktail wieners in Crock Pot (slow cooker) with chili sauce and grape jelly; cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours.
Serve the little hot dogs or sausages from the slow cooker (set on LOW or WARM) with toothpicks, small plates, and napkins available for your guests.
You might also spear them with toothpicks and arrange them on a plate drizzled with some of the sauce. Keep them warm on a warming tray or serve immediately.
*Chili sauce is a condiment that you'll find near the ketchup and cocktail sauce in the supermarket.
Tips and Variations
- Instead of mini wieners or mini smoked sausage, use 2 pounds of Polish sausage or similar smoked sausage. Slice it into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce to the sauce mixture.
- Replace the chili sauce with your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Add 1 or 2 cups of frozen pearl onions to the crock pot with the cocktail wieners or add about 1 cup of sliced fresh onions.
- Replace the grape jelly with currant jelly
- Replace the grape jelly with apricot preserves and 1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar.
- Add about 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper for a little "bite."
- For "spirited" little smokies, add a few tablespoons of bourbon to the sauce mixture.
You Might Also Like