A pork shoulder is cooked to perfection in the crock pot for fabulous pulled pork sandwiches.
Use your favorite barbecue sauce in this crock pot pork roast recipe. This is a basic recipe for pulled pork shoulder using a boneless or bone-in shoulder (or pork butt), but be sure your pork shoulder will fit in the slow cooker and will allow you to put the cover on tightly.
Related Recipe: Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Barbecue Sandwiches
- pork shoulder or Boston butt, about 4 to 7 pounds, bone-in or boneless*
- 1/4 cup of water
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped, optional
- barbecue sauce
- Place the pork shoulder in the slow cooker with the water and sprinkle with salt and pepper. If desired, add chopped onions.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Turn to LOW and cook 7 to 9 hours longer, until very tender.
- Remove roast and discard the fat and juices. Chop or shred the pork and then return the meat to the slow cooker.
- Mix some barbecue sauce into the meat for flavor — about 1/2 to 1 cup of sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 30 minutes to 1 hour longer, until hot.
- Serve on warm split sandwich buns with coleslaw and extra barbecue sauce on the side.
- *If the roast is too large to fit in one piece, cut it into large chunks or trim it to fit in your slow cooker crockery insert.