This recipe for crock pot Swedish meatballs is all about convenience. Prepared gravy and frozen meatballs eliminate most of the work, and the results are delicious.
The easy slow cooker Swedish meatballs are made with a non-traditional sour cream sauce. The meatballs are served with egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
You may substitute heavy cream for the sour cream if you prefer a more traditional flavor, and serve them with boiled potatoes and lingonberry jam.
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) beef gravy or 3 cups prepared brown gravy
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 pounds frozen meatballs, thawed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 12 ounces medium egg noodles, cooked and drained, or prepared mashed potatoes
- fresh chopped parsley, optional
- Sauté mushrooms in butter until tender.
- In crockpot, combine the sauteed mushrooms, gravy, onion, Worcestershire sauce, and allspice. Stir meatballs into the sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Gradually stir about 1/2 cup of the hot gravy mixture into the sour cream. Stir the sour cream mixture into the slow cooker mixture and cook for 10 minutes longer, or until hot.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce over hot buttered noodles. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
- "My whole family really enjoyed this. My 3 kids kept picking meatballs and mushrooms out the pot throughout the day, and that was before the sour cream was added. They really enjoyed it when it was done and served over buttered egg noodles as did my husband and I. I will definitely be adding this to our family menu and be making it for years to come. I added a half a can of beef broth with the gravy at the beginning and at the end with the sour cream added a slurry of flour and milk to thicken the gravy up some. DELICIOUS!" O.T.
- "This recipe is so simple and very delicious. From the first bite, my husband called it a keeper. I found that the leftovers were much better as the sauce had time to thicken. I would prepare this dish again." H.G.
- "This was very easy to make and came out lovely. I had my husband and twin 4 1/2-year-old girls eat this for dinner, and everyone loved it!" Sharon
You Might Also Like