This recipe is a very simple combination of turkey wings, a basic mirepoix* of onions, carrots, celery, and condensed cream of chicken soup. Serve the wings with macaroni and cheese, potatoes, or rice, along with your family's favorite steamed vegetables.
This recipe works well with meatier turkey thighs as well. The seasonings are easily varied. Try sprinkling the turkey pieces with a little poultry seasoning or ground thyme. See more ideas in the tips and variations section under the recipe instructions.
*A mirepoix is a combination of diced vegetables, usually cooked slowly in butter, oil, or another kind of fat. A typical combination includes onions, carrots, and celery. A Cajun or Creole mirepoix is generally made with the "holy trinity" of onions, celery, and bell peppers.
- 4 turkey wings
- Dash of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped, about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup celery (diced)
- 1/2 cup carrots (diced)
- 2 cans (10 1/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup
- Cut turkey wings at joints; discard wing tips. Sprinkle the wings all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the turkey wing pieces and brown on all sides. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
- Put the chopped onion, celery, and carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with the browned wings.
- Combine the cream of chicken soup with water; pour over the wings.
- Cover the crockpot and cook for about 3 to 4 hours on High, or until turkey wings are done.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the turkey wings with turkey thighs or turkey legs. Larger pieces will take more time. The safe minimum temperature for turkey is 165° (73.9 °C).
- Cajun-Style - Instead of the French-inspired mirepoix, use a Cajun-style mirepoix: 1 cup of chopped onions, 1/2 cup diced celery, and 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper. Sprinkle the turkey pieces with 1 teaspoon of Cajun or Creole seasoning.
- With Chicken Thighs: Instead of wings, use 6 to 8 bone-in chicken wings in the recipe.
You Might Also Like